Every time I share photos of me reading on social media, many of you message me asking for reviews and book recommendations. Since there so many other book lovers out there like me, I figured it was a great time to kick off my first My Cancer Chic Virtual Book Club. I’ll be sharing a round up of the Top 5 Books I read last year along with so many others I recommend you read. I am excited to share my passion for reading with you and hopefully get ideas from you all as well.
I absolutely love to read, but I am a fickle reader
If the book doesn’t grab me in the first few chapters I will abandon it. Since I am crazy busy with work, the blog, my advocacy work and family, I have to be all in in order to make time for reading. I am sure the same is true for many of you. I have to plan my self-care time and reading is one of my favorite ways to relax and mentally regroup.
If I am really into a book, I can read it from cover to cover in 24 hours. Other times it’ll take me months to find another book I fall for. Today I am sharing my favorite books with you in hopes that you find some time to snuggle up and read this weekend.
My Favorite Genres
Usually I am a sucker for present day fiction, but this past year, we read The Kitchen House in my book club and I found a new found love for historical fiction. That book was enough to convince me to dip my toes in the historic fiction pool. Aside from The Kitchen House, I have mostly been reading thrillers and suspense. This is such a departure from my norm, because I get scared so easily. I can’t watch any type of horror flick because I will have nightmares for days, but books seem to be different. I started out listening to thriller/suspense audio books and now that I am more conditioned, I can read them as well without getting too scared. The suspense and anticipation of the thriller and murder mysteries really keeps me engaged.
Top 5 Books I Read Last Year
- Behind Closed Doors – This may be the best book I’ve read in the past TWO years. I recommend this book to every person I know and so far everyone has loved it as much as I did. It is a psychological thriller focused on the reality of Jake and Grace’s seemingly perfect marriage. Writing about it now, I think I want to go reread it. It was that good.
- The Kitchen House – Hands down one of the best books I’ve read in the past 12 months. I could not put this book down. I was overcome with horror, anger and sadness over the injustice and racial tragedy in this story. Set on a slave plantation in Virginia, the story explores loss, tragedy and how the color of your skin determined your opportunities in life. Fantastic character development and many connections to current racial conversations
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*CK – As someone who has struggled with self – doubt, insecurity and comparison for much of my life, this book was a fantastic and humorous wake up call. Super entertaining to read and so much that can be applied to your everyday life about making what’s important your true priority and not caring about the rest.
- Secrets of a Charmed Life – This book is another fantastic historical fiction read. Set in London during World War II, the book explores themes of reinvention and redemption in the face of chaos and trauma, something that many readers can relate to. The relationships between sisters as well as mother – daughter are complex, touching and relateable. Definitely a page turner, I could not put it down.
- The Woman in Cabin 10 – If you enjoy Agatha Christie style suspense, you will love this book. Budding journalist, Lo, has the opportunity of a lifetime covering the opening voyage of a luxury yacht. Soon she discovers things aren’t as they seem and every passenger has their secrets. Stuck on the boat, unsure who to trust, she will keep you on the edge of your seat as she investigates the disappearance of a mysterious passenger. I absolutely loved this book and can’t wait to find another story that lives up to this one.
6 More Book Recommendations for 2018
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Historical Fiction)
- Pretty Girls (Thriller/Mystery)
- What Alice Forgot (Fiction/Drama)
- All By My Alone (Thriller/Mystery)
- The Good Girl (Psychological Thriller)
- The Couple Next Door (Thriller/Mystery
- Big Little Lies (Mystery, Psychological Fiction)
- The Husband’s Secret (Fiction/Suspense)
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Historical Fiction)
- The Kind Worth Killing (Psychological Thriller)
- The Widower’s Wife (Psychological Thriller)
- The Pocket Wife (Psychological Thriller)
- Luckiest Girl Alive
- Don’t You Cry
Books I Want to Read Soon
- Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
What books are you loving right now? Send me your recommendations and let’s grow this virtual book club. Don’t forget to subscribe to the My Cancer Chic Newsletter to get new posts sent right to your inbox. This is also how I communicate with my awesome readers about giveaways, events, new resources and other fund opportunities. I promise I won’t spam your inbox!