Regarding maternity clothes and adjusting your wardrobe, leggings are essential. This post will give you a full breakdown of the best maternity leggings.
As I write this, I am in the second trimester of my second pregnancy and can also speak to how some of these styles wear through the entire pregnancy and postpartum period.
Leggings can be worn with most of your maternity wardrobe and repurposed comfortably after your sweet nugget arrives.
Maternity leggings are essential for any pregnant woman's wardrobe. Not only are they comfortable, but they can also accommodate a growing baby bump. With so many different styles and sizes available, it can be difficult to choose the right pair of maternity leggings for every stage of pregnancy. From over-the-bump to under-the-bump, there is something for every mama-to-be!
Best Leggings - Pick Your Bump Style
These maternity leggings are my absolute favorite in terms of comfort.
- 96% Cotton
- Soft Fabric
- Minimal seams
- No compression
- Go with your pre-pregnancy size
- Stretchy full belly panel
- CON: quite thin and can be sort of see-through after many wears and washing machine runs.
I lived in these leggings during my first pregnancy but they did not wear well over time. I still wear them some this second pregnancy when I want more compression but I was disappointed in the long-term quality.
- High Compression
- Support panel on belly
- X support panel on the lower and middle back
- Thick Fabric
- Order your normal size
- Chafe-free seamless leggings
- Often go on sale on Blanqi website around holidays
- CONS: High price tag, piling over time, some sagging at the crotch
I did not understand the hype for these leggings until I tried them on in-store! Now I am sold and these are the perfect pair of leggings for my second pregnancy and my remaining 19 weeks.
- Compression in legs but uber stretchy in the waist
- Women claim they work great for months of wear and resume normal shape postpartum
- 25" length is great for petite ladies like me
- Stretchy material
- Good quality
- Recommended to size up 1 size for the perfect fit during pregnancy. If you are taller you can also go with the ultra high rise for more belly fabric. I went with the 25" in a size 8. Pre-pregnancy I was a 4/6
- CONS: Price tag, waist panel does not go all the way up to the bra line if you prefer that type of fit.
Truth be told, I am not a Spanx legging fan normally. I am a Commando legging fan through and through. But as my body changed in the first trimester, my Commando faux leather leggings got too tight and Commando does not offer maternity styles. Despite my normal dislike of the Spanx Faux leather, these are the best fit I have found for a growing bump. I got them on Poshmark to save some money as well.
- Runs small
- Dressier style
- Cotton full belly panel
- Seamless center to avoid camel toe
- CONS: Don't stay up well, pricey, sagging at crotch
Be ready for any activity with these sporty tights in fast-drying functional fabric that keep you dry and comfortable during exercise. Their expansive, foldover waistband provides a fit worthy of celebration both during pregnancy and after!
As I mentioned above I am disappointed in the BLANQI leggings' quality over time but I still love the fit and feel of the compression postpartum high-waisted leggings. Belly Bandit Compression Postpartum leggings are also highly recommended.
- Compression style for abdominal muscles postpartum
- Thicker compression band
- Thick Fabric
- No scratchy seams on your sensitive postpartum belly or irritation on C-section scars
- CONS: High price tag, piling over time, some sagging at crotch
If you are looking for leggings for a date night or a fancier look while pregnant, these preggo maternity leggings are perfect. They are a shinier faux leather and give an edge to any everyday outfit. This particular pair of maternity leggings is lined so they are also warmer during winter. Belly Bandit leggings are also highly recommended but I have never tried them myself.
- Over-the-belly stretch waistband
- 90% cotton, 10% spandex
- Black Owned/Founded
- Warm thick fabric for colder temps
- Can be worn postpartum
- CONS: Price tag, sag some when bump is smaller
If you're seeking a relaxing experience, the Nike One Leggings are an excellent choice.
Crafted with zonal fabric that expands as your body grows - before and after pregnancy - these leggings contain all of your bump while providing absolute assurance of support and confidence.
Simply fold down one of its convenient waistbands when wanting to relax!
These leggings were a thrifty splurge that I am beyond thrilled to own. Not only are they as comfortable, but they're designed to last throughout your entire pregnancy.
I've tried so many throughout pregnancy and keep returning to these - they're soft, SO comfy & don't lose any of their comfort! They grow with my belly all the way through the third trimester.
These joggers are so comfortable and a great addition to your maternity clothes that you can also wear postpartum
- Order your normal size or smaller as the Old Navy loose styles run large
- Super soft fabric
- Stretchy belly panel you can fold down
- CONS: NONE
I swear by Abercrombie jeans normally so when I saw Abercrombie maternity jeans are now available I had to grab a few fairs to try. They have a few styles that are jeggings and a more stretchy fabric and they also have maternity jeans in a less stretchy fabric.
- Over-the-belly stretchy panel
- Waistband:86% Polyester, 14% Elastane
- Body:53% Cotton, 22% Viscose, 11% Polyester, 10% Lyocell, 4% Elastane
- Said to run true to size. Mine are on the way and I will update the post with my full review.
- CONS: Price tag, some say the belly panel is not very durable for pulling up
People claim these Amazon maternity leggings are a dupe for the Lululemon Align leggings. I will order them and report back for you all.
- Buttery soft hand feeling, matte finish, non see-through
- High-waist, seamless waistband to contour your curves and streamlines your shape
- A moderate amount of compression without feeling suffocated
BONUS: Best Maternity Jeans (Full Panel)
I have tried SO many maternity jeans and while they are expensive my favorites are Joe's Jeans ankle maternity jeans and Articles of Society skinny maternity jeans. I highly recommend getting maternity jeans used on Poshmark or on sale if you can. The Articles of Society styles run a bit large but Joe's Jeans maternity styles run true to size.
I also tried the Old Navy maternity jeans which I loved originally but ended up HATING. They never stay up and tops don't lay smooth because of the button. The panel also doesn't go all the way up which makes them extremely uncomfortable as your belly grows. I was so disappointed because they look so cute at first and they are so reasonably priced.
Side Note: I will only wear the full-panel jeans because I find the styles with the side stretch panels to dig in and be so uncomfortable.
If you are looking to make your regular jeans work during the first trimester, these belly bands are wonderful as well.
BONUS: Best Maternity Pants for the Office
If you work in an office sometimes you need a pair of maternity pants that are not leggings. My favorite through two pregnancies have been the Motherhood Maternity Pull on Pants and the Pixie Maternity Pants from Old Navy.
Both have a full panel belly and are super comfortable and stretchy. Honestly, sometimes I will reach for these pants over leggings because they fit the bump so well and look professional and polished.
Pregnancy Leggings FAQs
What leggings are best for pregnancy?
When it comes to judging the best maternity leggings there are many different things to keep in mind. Which styles you like best may depend on your preferences. Think about these questions before shopping for maternity leggings for your changing body.
- How do you plan to wear your leggings(casual outfits, workouts, to the office, or all of the above)?
- Do you want belly support? This is a great benefit in the third trimester
- Do you like high-rise waistbands?
- Do you want compression?
- Do you sweat a lot? You may want moisture-wicking fabric.
If you are in your first pregnancy and not yet sure how you feel, don't be afraid to experiment until you find the right fit.
Can you wear normal leggings while pregnant?
Yes, you can wear regular leggings during pregnancy but it all comes down to comfort for your growing baby bump. Regular leggings are not meant to stretch as far in the stomach and the side seams may dig in even if you size up for your growing belly. I tried this with Fabletics regular leggings and even 1-2 sizes up, the compression waist was very painful on my growing bump.
The Lululemon Align leggings are the exception. They are not specifically maternity leggings but are a top-rated pair due to plenty of stretch soft fabric and the ability to wear them through all stages of pregnancy and postpartum. I finally snagged two pairs during my second pregnancy and I now understand the hype.
What is the difference between maternity leggings and regular leggings?
Maternity leggings as opposed to regular leggings have a few extra benefits that make them a popular choice during pregnancy
- Stretchy material and a soft elastic waistband
- Many have an over the belly stretchy panel made of a softer fabric with less compression to allow for your growing bump
- Many have compression in the legs to help with swelling and varicose veins
- Super soft feel and fabrics accommodate sensitive skin
- Some offer support on the back to accommodate your weight distribution and back pain
Finding the best maternity leggings is essential to any expecting mother's wardrobe. The right style and fabric can provide her with the comfort and support she needs during her pregnancy.
From lightweight and breathable options to thicker and more supportive fabrics, various styles and materials are available to suit any woman's needs.
I hope you found this guide helpful and stay comfortable and stylish throughout your pregnancy!