As the Thanksgiving holiday comes to a close, I am forced to remove my leggings and review my Black Friday purchases in the light of day. Just like most Americans, I too get caught up in the shopping, the sales and the holiday stress. As we transition into a holiday season filled with spending, I am searching for ways to give back. #GivingTuesday is the first way I plan to take action.
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. As a blogger and a shopping fanatic, I consider it my responsibility to spread the word about this amazing movement. #GivingTuesday harnesses the potential of social media and the generosity of people around the world to bring about real change in our communities by encouraging and amplifying small acts of kindness.
After my battle with breast cancer this year, I am taking #GivingTuesday as an opportunity to support an organization near and dear to my heart – Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC). Many people think that cancer ends when that last chemo drip courses through your veins, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. The treatment, the side effects, the fear, and the emotional baggage continue for months and years to come. LBBC recognizes these challenges and envisions a world where no one impacted by breast cancer feels uninformed or alone. They work towards this vision by connect people with trusted (peer and medically reviewed) breast cancer information and a community of support. I had the amazing opportunity to attend a training conference with LBBC in September with 19 other young women selected from across the country. We were trained to serve as advocates within our respective communities. The training and insight I gained from LBBC was invaluable and allowed me to return to the Raleigh area and connect more young women facing breast cancer with credible resources and support.
Living Beyond Breast Cancer offers webinars, community meetings, online and print resources/publications for health care providers/patients/caregivers, yoga workshops, national conferences and a breast cancer helpline. Without our support LBBC would not be able to make all these amazing resources and programs available.
I am asking that you participate in #GivingTuesday this year by supporting Living Beyond Breast Cancer. There are four easy ways to participate.
1. Amazon Smile – set your Amazon account to automatically support Living Beyond Breast Cancer with your eligible purchases. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. Visit smile.amazon.com and select Living Beyond Breast Cancer as your charitable organization.
2. Shop to Support – These partners generously provide the financial resources necessary to ensure that all of the LBBC programs and services can be delivered for free to those in need.
- Ana Ono Intimates – AnaOno Intimates, a lingerie line specifically for women who have had breast cancer, will donate 5 % of the proceeds from the Rachel bra and the Alejandra bra to LBBC.
- Bravelets – For each piece of jewelry purchased through the Bravelets™ LBBC webpage, a 10% donation will be made to Living Beyond Breast Cancer. Choose from a variety of bracelets, necklaces, earrings and even scarves, which all feature the triangle, the strongest geometric shape. Bravelets™ hopes that its pieces help you be strong and brave in tough situations.
- Spiritual Revolution is a company of artists desiring to bring inspiration to their fellow yoga practitioners. Enter the code “LBBC” at checkout and Spiritual Revolution will donate 10% of sales to Living Beyond Breast Cancer.
- BeautyCounter – Beautycounter’s mission is to get safe products into the hands of everyone, because women should never have to sacrifice their health in the name of beauty. 10% of product sales will be donated to LBBC.
- Angela Roi is a New York-based ethical luxury handbag brand with modern classic aesthetics. The ‘Sunday Mini’ retails for $165 with 50% of the retail price being donated to Living Beyond Breast Cancer.
- Soul Sisters Jewelry – Jewlery built on the goal of embracing the confidence of women everywhere by providing empowerment and unity through the love of fashion. 10% of sales will go to LBBC.
- White House Black Market – WHBM is honored to help mark an important milestone – 25 years of Living Beyond Breast Cancer’s deep dedication to women. The LBBC/WHBM collaboration helped raise over $5.5 million. The limited edition Give Hope Collection is designed exclusively for Living Beyond Breast Cancer.
3. Become a Volunteer – LBBC has many different volunteer opportunities available, from assisting in the office and distributing materials in your community, to serving as a peer support volunteer providing guidance and support on our Breast Cancer Helpline
4. Make a donation – Each year, LBBC receives gifts large and small from individuals, companies and foundations. For 10 years in a row, they have earned a four-star “exceptional” rating from Charity Navigator (America’s largest independent charity evaluator). This track record is reflected in the excellence of the programs and services that LBBC delivers to half a million people every year.
I have not been compensated for any of the ideas or recommendations shared in this post.