It’s finally here – the glitter and bows, freshly fallen snow, and if you listen closely, you’ll hear an echo of Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” playing everywhere you go. In each family, holiday traditions elicit memories and remind us of loved ones. Today, Rowan and I, survivor sisters and fellow holiday lovers will be sharing some of our favorite holiday traditions, as well as those perfect gifts to help bring joy and comfort to your loved ones facing cancer or navigating life after.
One of the oldest traditions in Rowan’s family is to have a Christmas Eve feast. Her mom “slays” in the kitchen and then her and her sister prepare the house for Ole’ St. Nick. Next, it’s Christmas jammies and family time. Mac, Sophie and I are all about Christmas jammies as well. We drink hot chocolate and lay by the fire watching The Grinch. I always look forward to this Christmas Eve tradition we started.
Click the images in the widget below to shop some of the awesome jimmies we found.
Rowan has enjoyed creating new traditions with her fiancé as well. The best new tradition is celebrating Christmas on her fiance’s family ranch with campfires, Christmas movies, four-wheelers, fishing, and an abundance of food and celebratory drinks! What holiday traditions do you enjoy?
As a friend, family member, or caregiver it can be hard to watch your loved one go through cancer treatment and even harder to know how to support them after active treatment. Since Rowan and I have both been through this roller coaster, we decided to compile some of our favorite gifts to give you ideas for this holiday season of giving. These gifts will bring comfort and joy to your friends and loved ones facing a difficult time.
1. Inspirational Jewelry
- AWE (Alive We’re Empowered) medallion necklace Give the gift of strength and hope with this gorgeous necklace. The AWE symbol is four teardrops -representing the blood, sweat and tears (of sorrow and joy) that define each survivor’s journey.
- Mantra Bands – the perfect delicate piece for anyone battling a difficult time. Choose the perfect saying for your friend or loved one.
- The Brave Bangle from the By Your Side Collection, the perfect token to show your loved one you are supporting them from afar.
2. Inspirational Art/Cards
- My Cancer Chic prints are another great gift idea. Browse the variety of hand designed prints available for purchase, which can be printed on a variety of mediums. They are easy to display and will bring daily inspiration to your loved one.
- Emily McDowell Studios has awesome cards perfect for your cancer patient filled with humor AND inspiration. The chemo card I linked is one of the favorites. Founded by a fellow cancer survivor
- Framed motivational print A great way to share inspiration is through art. A simple framed saying can bring so much comfort and is a beautiful daily reminder of what truly matters in life and how success should be measured.
3. Practical & Stylish Apparel
- Care+Wear Women’s Chest Access Shirt is designed to be fashionable, while easing the infusion process for patients receiving treatment at home or at treatment centers. With its EPA approved antimicrobial fabric and zipper opening on either the right or left side, Care+Wear’s Chest Access Shirt provides patients or clinicians with direct access to the treatment site so that the wearer does not have to disrobe, promoting warmth, discretion and comfort. (One reader can win one of these awesome shirts. Scroll to the bottom to enter the GIVEAWAY)
- Ana Ono -Lingerie and apparel for women who’ve had a mastectomy, breast reconstruction or breast surgery. Pocketed options and radiation specific styles available. *Founded by a fellow breast cancer survivor
4. Beauty & Pampering
- Thrive Causemetics – Clean beauty products with a mission to empower women facing cancer and domestic violence. You can shop the matte lipstick duo named after Rowan here.
- Beauty Counter Lip Conditioner – Another fan favorite this lip conditioner is perfect for dry lips during the winter, during chemo, and year round. Made with all clean products it’s a great brand for survivors.
- Hydrating facial mask Beyond the fact that this pretty pink mask smells like roses (organic petals are a main ingredient), you’ll love that it naturally polishes away dead skin with alpha hydroxy-packed hibiscus powder and cleansing French pink clay.
5. Cooking & Meals
- Blue Apron – A meal delivery company partnered with local farmers to provide high quality, fresh ingredients. The weekly box comes with pre-portioned ingredients and easy to follow recipe cards.
- Plant based cookbooks with plenty of vegan, veterinarian, and gluten free recipes to accommodate a healthy lifestyle change after a cancer diagnosis
Enter the Care+Wear Women’s Chest Access Shirt GIVEAWAY below using the widget. The winner will be selected on Christmas Day. The winner will get to select the size and color of their choice.
We hope you found this joint post enjoyable and we wish you all a wonderful holiday season!
Love, Rowan & Anna